CAA is the Apartment Industry’s Voice to Public Policy Decision-makers.
The legislative mission of the Chicagoland Apartment Association is to protect members’ bottom line by advocating on their behalf at the local, state and federal level. Our strong, united voice is heard in the halls of government, saving members quantifiable dollars on issues related to property taxes and fees, zoning and building codes, the Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance, licensing, environmental issues, and so much more.
CAA’s Legislative Committee meets regularly to review legislative and regulatory initiatives and recommends public policy positions to the Board of Directors. Our message is communicated effectively to policy-makers via direct and grass-roots lobbying campaigns, and to the general public via public affairs and social media platforms. Those efforts are complemented by the CAA Political Action Committee (CAAPAC), which helps elect candidates to state and local office who support issues important to apartment owners and managers.
Local Issue Resources
- 2022 Chicago Security Deposit Interest Rate - 0.01%
- *Chicago Security Deposit Interest Rate Addendum*
- Chicago RLTO
- Chicago RLTO Summary (Updated August 2020)
- Policy Brief: Cook County RTLO
- Cook County RTLO
- Cook County RTLO Summary (Updated April 2021)
- Fair Notice Ordinance
- Fair Notice Overview (City of Chicago)
- Policy Brief: Just Housing Ordinance
- Policy Brief: Marijuana Legalization
- Rent Control Facts
- Energy Benchmarking
State Issue Resources
- IDPH: Owner's Guide to Working Safely with Lead
- How to Contact Your State Legislators
- Real Estate License Act
- Illinois Landlord Tenant Act
- 2022 Illinois Security Deposit Interest Rate – 0.005%
- Rent Control
- Emotional Support Animals
- Sealing Eviction Records
Federal Issue Resources
- The NAA is constantly on the watch in Washington DC for issues affecting our industry. In addition, the CAA often asks for NAA to get involved locally. Visit the NAA Government Affairs webpage.
- WeAreApartments.org is a website dedicated to helping legislators and others in the public recognize the tremendous impact our industry has on the economy. There is a section dedicated to Chicago and Illinois.